Book Review: Divergent Series

13:00

Hello Internet!

It's already time for yet another book review (wow, September has gone really fast).

I know...I haven't posted in ages. The last post was published on the fourth of September, which is really, really bad. I'm sorry.

Not only have I been too tired/busy/zombified by school to write a post, I also haven't had much chance to pick up a book to read. Last month's review was on the Maze Runner and I'd said that I'd probably be doing the Scorch Trials next. Well, I'm sorry, but I can't do that because I've only got as far as Chapter 24.

Instead, I'm going to do a review of a book series I read a while ago. I hope you don't mind.




Titles:
Divergent (Book One)
Insurgent (Book Two)
Allegiant (Book Three)

Author:
Veronica Roth

Genre:
Young Adult/Dystopian Fiction/Sci-Fi

Description:
Tris Prior lives in a very divided world. The city in, Chicago, is divided into five factions: Abnegation, Erudite, Candor, Amity and Dauntless. Each of these different sections of the city have different beliefs on what the values of society should be. Abnegation believes in sacrificing yourself for others and being completely selfless. Erudite believes that intelligence is the most important trait and that ignorance is the greatest flaw and Amity are supporters of peace and friendship. Finally, the Dauntless see fear as the greatest flaw and encourage bravery and determination.
At the age of 16, everyone is to take an "aptitude test" and then choose which faction they want to spend the rest of their life in at the choosing ceremony. For Tris, however, it isn't that simple. Her aptitude test gives a result different to what she could have possibly imagined. She doesn't just belong to one faction, she has traits which suggests that she belongs to three of the five factions. She's Divergent. Yet she doesn't seem to realise how much this will influence her chance of survival in a world which is already impossible.

My Thoughts and Opinions:
I think that this series is, overall, very good. It is written well, it's action-packed and the characters are each portrayed in different ways. If I remember rightly, the beginning was a little slower than some other YA books but it wasn't long before it picked up.
Like most other YA Fiction books, this series has a lot to offer. Like I said, the action is written amazingly, yet there's also some humour and romance in there too.
Now to the characters. I say this in practically every review but, for me, what makes a good character is flaws. And, there's no doubt about it, Tris quite a few of them. There were certainly points (especially in Insurgent) where she was really starting to annoy me. But weirdly, that made me like he more.


I recommend this series to anybody who like The Hunger Games or The Maze Runner. Even though it really annoys me when people say that Divergent is just the same as The Hunger Games - because that is completely wrong - the two series do have quite a lot in common.

If you decide to read this series, please let me know what you think of it.

Again, I'm sorry for the complete lack of posts. I promise I'm going to motivate myself to write more this month. Although I'm not quite ready for Blogtober, I'm going to at least aim for weekly posts.


Thanks for reading,
Elsie A xx


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

What is your favourite season?